Re: one user per daemon?

Andrew Pimlott wrote:
On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 02:26:24PM +0200, Christian Kujau wrote:

in another (german) newsgroup i saw a comment, being a bit upset about the general-every-distribution behaviour to install new daemons under a single user id. to be clear, if debconf/dpkg/whatever set up e.g. ntpd, the default is that "root" starts the daemon. or user "nobody" does, but another daemon was configured to be run from "nobody" too. the same applies for user "daemon". only a few daemons are run by other users by default, apache, snort or squid.

You're right that this is rather ridiculous.  For the trivial cost
of a new user, we get a significant gain in compartmentalization.

I wish there were something in policy strongly recommending creating
a new user for every system service.

hmm, ok. thanks for confirming that, i thought i/someone missed a hidden feature or so. i see, there is work done *towards* a one-user-per-daemon system, as i named some daemons above. and yes, i know, that *work* would be sooner done with even more people working on it....

Thank you,
Christian.

--
BOFH excuse #363: