Re: [despammed] Advice Needed On Recent Rootings

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 02:35:32PM -0400, Ed McMan wrote:
> Sunday, May 25, 2003, 2:04:30 PM, Jayson Vantuyl (Jayson) wrote:
>
> Jayson> We've had a number of hacked boxen recently.  It appears a certain
> Jayson> person (Romanian we think) is specifically targeting us and our
> Jayson> customers (looks like he hit a machine and found connections from others
> Jayson> in their logs, went from there).
>
> That's pretty unsettling..
>
> Have you tried running snort?  If its a known vulnerability it should
> be able to pick it up (don't use Debian's.. it's very out of date).

Err...
packages.debian.org/snort
shows unstable/testing provide 2.0.0, which is quite recent. It can easily
be backported to stable.

> You might want to try scanning your boxes with nessus too (kind of
> unlikely that it would find anything, but... (don't use debian version
> again)).

Why not?
http://packages.debian.org/nessus
Shows unstable/testing provide 2.0.5 (2.0.6 is out and will be in the
archive soon). Backporting it is really easy and you can find backported
packages (for older versions) at http://people.debian.org/~jfs/nessus/

So, maybe you meant do not use versions in _stable_ (see #183524)

Regards

Javi