Re: red worm amusement

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 07:52:02PM -0700, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > > I think a lot of people are just curious, and they install things
> > > they don't need, or really have any idea of what it does.  The only
> > > reason they are able to get it to run is because it's easy.  They may
> > > not have any idea that /etc/rc?.d exists.  They very well may not expect
> > > it to be running the next time they reboot.
> >
> > well people need to learn.  you can't treat computers like toasters
> > anymore.  deal with it.
>
> And whose going to teach them?  Certainly not an OS that makes it as
> easy as 'apt-get install apache' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know. You're right. We should make it as difficult as possible
to install software. Right down to removing makefiles from source
repositories and rot13ing the source code because the harder it is
to install a piece of software, the more secure a box is.

And then the computer you just spent a few grand on will be about
as useful as a toaster without heating elements.

The trick is not to make installation of software more difficult. The
trick is in informing the user about what they just did and what
consequences it may have for them.

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au)		*** Jenna has joined the channel.
				<cat> speaking of mental giants..