Re: filelocking

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:22:38PM +0200, Kim De Smaele wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have written a script which enable a filelocking ( for one speciffic
> file ).
> Most of our users are using vi, but some of them are using the win-client
> ultra-edit (  via ftp protocol ) which gives me the problem that the
> filelocking is being bypassed. any idea's ( I have to grant ftp access )?
> by the way, thisis on solaris 2.6

First find out if the ftp server itself checks for locks.  If so, make
your script use the same locking system, and the ftp server should be
able to detect a lock.

Do you want to deny access to ftp when your script has locked the file?

There is probably a way to get the kernel to lock the file too, but I
can't help you there... :(

Mike