Re: Debian audititing tool?

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 03:22:10PM +0000, Colin Phipps wrote:
> > Well and the one that you won't catch to much more damage to your system
> > and create a higher risk then the one you catch.
>
> Agreed, if someone gets root on your system there's no way you can
> guarantee detecting it. But you can try. Whether md5sums is worthwhile
> I don't know, I guess you'd have to look for some statistics on
> rootkits and such...

Well, you certainly can't catch them with debsums.

You can probably catch them with tripwire, if you're willing to spend
lots of time and effort using it.

I was motivated by the idea that Debian could do much better than
tripwire - ie, the same security, with much less effort on the part of
the administrator.

--

Peter Eckersley
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde

for techno-leftie inspiration, take a look at
http://www.computerbank.org.au/