Checksums on ftp

Hi

All debfiles has checksums right?? These checksums can be used to verify if a file
has been changed, so therefore checksums can be used to check if someone has
hacked my computer and installed a rootkit right??

But I can't use the checksums on my computer that was installed with the package because
a hacker could have exchanged them as well as other files, and I would not know about it.

And to download all debfiles and extrakt the checksums takes alot of time and alot of
diskspace.

Why don't put all the checksums on an ftp, and make a debian package that checks
all files (or just some packages) on the computer for changes. Then it would make it
very easy to detect if anyone has hacked in to the computer and changed any files.

What do you guys think about that??

/Ingemar