Re: state of VTK-8 (upgrading paraview)?

On 2019-03-21 14:59, Johannes Schauer wrote:
Hi Drew,

Quoting Drew Parsons (2019-03-21 07:51:24)
Hi Gert and other VTK keepers,

I'm by no means a VTK keeper but I guess you found me via:

https://lists.debian.org/150980836026.28076.14119532204188467883@localhost

I was trawling the records looking for Kyle, but found you instead :)

Kyle was discussing with us in April 2018, but I couldn't find it by search (google is really really bad at finding information in Debian mailing lists. I fear google is getting worse and worse at its job every year). I later found Kyle on his blog at https://blog.kitware.com/rethinking-debian-packaging-for-vtk-and-other-cmake-projects-part-2/ . Thereby remembering his name, I found the April discussions.

what's the state of VTK-8 for Debian?

The packaging now lives here:

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/vtk8

And as far as I can see, everything seems to be how I left it in 2017. So there
is nothing more to add from my side. I guess you could just clone this
repository and build your own vtk8 package for your use-case.

Thanks Josch.  Good to know the repo exists, that's a good start.

Drew