Re: Fwd: MKL is redistributable; Should we package it?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 08:07:17AM +0000, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:

> Le ven. 30 mars 2018 à 08:18, Lumin <cdluminate@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > I noticed that intel's math kernel library is redistributable[1].
> > Since it is widely used in various fields, an mkl package
> > in Debian archive my be beneficial to at least science
> > software users.
> >
> > However despite of the explicit declaration that MKL
> > is redistributable, MKL itself is a proprietary and
> > its source is not available. That means mkl must enter
> > nonfree, and the packaging is to simply repack a pile
> > of binary blobs.

> For BLAS and FFT, there are already performant and established alternatives
> (OpenBLAS and FFTW), so the appeal to provide a non-free alternative is
> lower, imo.

I agree with this analysis. Also note that, in addition to OpenBLAS, we have
ATLAS (which is more portable across architectures).

Nevertheless, if you are willing to do the packaging work, please integrate MKL
with the alternatives system, as described on this page:

 https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot