custom petsc package based on "next" upstream release

Hi,

this is really a question on Debian package build, but since the package in question is petsc, I'll try here...

I have cloned locally the debian git repository for petsc since I had to locally modify it for my needs (see "petsc interface to other packages" few weeks ago on this list).

In the meanwhile I have found a bug in petsc, it has been fixed upstream and they are asking me to test the fix. I see 2 options:

1) clone the upstream git in a virtual machine (i.e. no debian package), build and test... which I can always do, but in case I like the fix it would not give me a Debian package to install on my main machine)

2) build a new debian package based on the "next" upstream branch, which would require to update/create a new branch in my local git clone of the debian repo so that I can base my build on the correct upstream branch.

Is option 2 feasible (and not too involved?)... if so, would you give me some hints?

Best,

    Matteo