Re: Removal of grace, pygrace and expeyes

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03:53AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 20:38:49 -0700
> Nicholas Breen <nbreen@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 04:10:39PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > I'm seeking the removal of pygrace and expeyes so that grace can be
> > > removed. CC'ing the relevant maintainers (and filing important bugs
> > > for each package). I expect the removal to start in two weeks
> > > unless I hear back about a viable solution.
> >
> > If just getting standalone t1lib out of the archive is the goal, I
> > don't mind incorporating all of the existing t1lib patches into the
> > embedded copy.
>
> No. How does that solve the problem of t1lib being abandoned upstream
> and already superseded by freetype?

Why is it a problem in the first place? Software is being rewritten and
superseded constantly, this doesn't mean other software using those old
libraries are immediately to be sent to the bin.

I think this is the grace's maintainer's call.  But then maybe I am
missing part of the conversatio and your motivation to have grace
removed.

> > As grace is almost exclusively used to plot
> > locally-supplied numeric data, and is not in any way practical to use
> > in a network setting, it has minimal security risk vs. some other
> > former users of t1lib like php5.
>
> The security issues were only one part of this - t1lib has been
> abandoned and superseded. It is unsupportable, as are packages which
> rely on it.

It is being supported by grace upstream as part of the embedded library,
as written elsewhere on this thread.

For some values of supported, but I don't see the point in removing
grace completely.  If you want to get rid of the the t1lib package -
fine, but I think using the embedded copy is an acceptable solution for
grace.

Michael