Re: fpLLL upload

Am 15.03.2013 13:56, schrieb Julien Puydt:
> a few days ago, bug #702898 asked to add the static libraries to the
> libfplll-dev package. Yesterday, I committed a fix to the git repository
> for the package.

We would not use the static library in Debian, so you don't have to
provide it just because a bug requests it. I don't provide static
libraries for any of my library packages.

I think I originally stopped shipping static libraries, because the
library packaging guide [1] suggests to avoid them. Since then I learned
that this guide contains some bad advice (naming dev packages
libfooX-dev instead of libfoo-dev) and errors (when ABI breakage is
"fixed" by renaming libfooX to libfooXsomething and keeping the SONAME,
libfooXsomething must not provide libfooX). The guide was removed from
Debian for that reason. So I suspect that the guide may just be badly
worded and should say "providing *only* a static library should be avoided".

Anyway, I also saw other people removing static libraries from dev
packages and I'm still comfortable with not providing them, especially
for libraries that are not widely used.

Any thoughts from other people on this?

Cheers,
Tobias