Re: [RFC] debian/upstream -- add "Funding:" field

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >     Funding: NSF OCI-12345
> This is correct syntax.

check

> > or a list
> >     Funding:
> >      - NSF OCI-12345
> >      - NIH XXX-12345
> > Is that correct approach/syntax?
> I admit, I'm not sure whether this is correct YAML.  Any reason to not simply use
>    Funding: NSF OCI-12345, NIH XXX-12345

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML :

    Lists

    Conventional block format uses a hyphen+space to begin a new item in list.

     --- # Favorite movies
     - Casablanca
     - North by Northwest
     - The Man Who Wasn't There

    Optional inline format is delimited by comma+space and enclosed in brackets (similar to JSON).[6]

     --- # Shopping list
     [milk, pumpkin pie, eggs, juice]

so one-liner then should be

    Funding: [NSF OCI-12345, NIH XXX-12345]

> I admit that information is not perfectly structured any more but I
> would like to rather keep things simple than fiddling around with list
> syntax.

yeah... for a moment I even thought to suggest making it an associative array
with keys being funding agencies, but then I thought it would be an overkill,
thus inferior.  If we just adhere to some sources naming conventions (e.g. NSF
instead of National Science Foundation and alike) -- we should be fine.  As
long as we identify the agency and possibly able to extract the related award
identifier (just a number in case of NSF), we could provide cool
hyperlinks to the respective pages, e.g. for NSF it is

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=<AWARD_NUMBER>

>   Just a suggestion - otherwise it is your task to check whether
> the syntax is correct. :-P

check ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko