Re: Moving IT++ to team maintenance

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

1. It's already using Git in collab-maint, but I haven't really been
disciplined in using pristine-tar to store the original upstream
tarballs; I just used the extracted tar.gz for the earlier
versions. Maybe I can make the switch now. Is that fine by you?

Doing the switch when moving to Debian Science git? Yes, that would be fine.

2. It toes the fine line between engineering and mathematics, but it
may fall into the mathematics category. Which would you think is apt?

IMHO it is not about categorisation in the sense of either catA or catB.
The question is: Is your package useful for mathematicians than add it
into the mathematics task AND if it is useful for engineers than put it
in the engineering task.  We had very frequently the discussion about
"scientific classification".  But what we really want to approach is to
help our users.  A user who regards themself as mathematician / engineer
should find everything he needs in the according task and should *not*
be forced to understand a complicated categorisation scheme.

I'd rather ask whether the package is just a library or whether it has
some applications that are using the library.  If it is more about developing
applications I would like to add

  engineering-dev
   Depends: libitpp-dev

  mathematics-dev
   Suggests: libitpp-dev

The "Suggests" reflects the fact that you do not seem to be really sure
whether it is really needed by mathematicians but it might be reasonable
to add a hint to this package.

I just have done this and you can see the effect at

  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/engineering-dev.html#libitpp-dev
  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/mathematics-dev.html#libitpp-dev

3. Could you recommend an easy way to shift the history to the new
repository location?

I hope the Git experts might be able to answer this question properly.

Nice to see you as a new member of Debian Science team

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de