Problem in octave

Hello
I don't know whether this is a right place to ask this question. I am
using octave 2.9.9 version present in Testing. I just tried out the
following multiplication and was surprised.

a=[3+6i, 1+5i]                   ! complex vector a is defined
a*a'                                  ! It is multiplied by its conjugate
ans =  0.50000 + 0.50000i     ! I get this answer

But I think i should get ' 71' as answer. I don't understand why its
giving the above one.
If I try
a=[1,2]
a*a'
ans  = 5

which is right as expected. Is this a bug or something. I don't
understand does it gives the wrong answer or the way i am doing is not
right.

Regards
--
G V Manu