Re: webgen (finally)

Am Samstag, dem 13.03.2021 um 14:34 +0100 schrieb Klaumi Klingsporn:
> Am / On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 01:03:34 +0100
> schrieb / wrote Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org>:
>
> > The contents of data.tar.xz in both packages are the
> > same, they only seem to have different timestamps, which
> > I find ok. Still the tarball differs in size in both
> > packages. That doesn't make much sense to me. The files
> > in both packages are actually the same except for the
> > modification time. I wouldn't call this "unreproducible".
>
> I just learned that tar archives with the same content have
> different sizes when the metadata of the included files
> (especially the timestamps) differ.

Ok. But when I build binaries from source file, the timestamps will differ too,
bot for the object files and the resulting binary. Ditto for creating e.g. the
md5sums file of the Debian package and put into control.tar.xz. This file is
recreated on every run. So why is this not considered to be "different"? A
timestamp differing is not a character of an unreproduible build for me as long
as the file contents are exactly the same. So I find this odd.

[..]
> So the question would be: How can we assure that rdoc
> preserves the timestamps of copied template-files while
> building the documentation in build-doc, or at least, that
> these timestamp are the same on each build-run?

I think this is more of a global issue. IMHO you shouldn't worry about that
regarding webgen. diffoscope only reports the different timestamps, nothing
more. So they are esentially the same files. I think this result is rather odd.

> Another thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the
> copied truetype-fonts in the packages exist only in
> compressed format as ttf.gz.  I know that they are copied
> by rdoc to build-doc uncompressed ttf's. So, what compressed
> them?

dh_compress probably.

Regards, Daniel
--
Regards,
Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> | https://www.wgdd.de/

If you like my work consider sponsoring me via
https://www.patreon.com/join/dleidert