Re: ghi: please review (new package, CLI interface to GitHub issue tracker)

On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 11:31:45 AM AEST Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:24:39AM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> > It is true that for now there are no packages depending on "ruby-ghi".
> > But eventually there are may be some packages that need it. Since library
> > is exposed to global name space it is better to install it by proper
> > library package.
>
> We don't do that.

I see... I'm quite surprised that (unlike Perl, Python and Golang packages)
package name convention means so little in Ruby... I wonder what good "ruby-"
is for in package names if it is OK to ship executables in any package
including library packages (like packages "ruby-fission" and "ruby-minitar"
that trigger lintian warnings "application-in-library-section" and "library-
package-name-for-application") as well as to ship Ruby libraries in packages
without "ruby-" in their names...

> > Could you please kindly advise me (or mention example packages) how to
> > install private Ruby library? At the moment I don't know how to do that.
>
> We don't do that, and there is no pre-made solution for it. If you
> insist you must do that, you can install the code to anywhere you want,
> and patch the binary to do something like this before anything:
>
> 	$LOAD_PATH.unshift "/path/to/private/lib"
>
> but I think it's too much trouble for no gain.  who cares if their
> libraries are in the global namespace, if they are installed with
> rubygems (as upstream usually assumes it will) their libraries are also
> available globally. If upstream doesn't think that should be the case,
> they would have a mechanism to handle that.
>
> If the package is mainly an application just call it by its original
> upstream name and be happy.

Understood. Thank you for your help and explanations, Antonio.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
        -- Friedrich Nietzsche