Re: help with running tests for rails using gems

On 06/04/2013 09:26 AM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 10:38:29AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
On 06/03/2013 10:14 AM, Christian Hofstaedtler wrote:
Next thing on my list is rack, which also needs a new version.

Do you have an opinion on rack as well?

Currently, actionpack 3.2 wants ~> 1.4.5, but
            actionpack 4.0 wants ~> 1.5.2.

My honest opinion?  Drop work on actionpack 3.2 (and Rails 3.2, and
Ruby 1.8.7).  :-)

But given that sid has ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1, and you appear to be
doing the early work towards rails 4.0 (excellent!), why not make
both ruby-rack1.5 and ruby-rack1.6 available?

Having multiple versions of anything is a pain, and I think we should
making that problem even bigger.

Well, we have a problem then. As a hunch, while trying to reproduce the following problem:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2013/06/msg00056.html

... I went back to my "host" machine, reran those instructions using rails 3.2, then updated actionpack to require version 1.5.2 of rack, and I got the same symptoms I am seeing on Debian sid.

The problem seems to be that request methods used to return symbols, and now return strings. This causes some lookups to fail Resulting, in among other things, session being nil in tests.

ruby1.8 is going to be dropped for jessie.

Excellent!

Maybe we will also drop rails 3.2, but since rails 4 is not ready yet we
need to keep one rails working. :-)

Understood.  Hopefully Rails 4 will release before Jessie.

- Sam Ruby