Thoughts about vnc-java

Hello Ola, Mike and Team,

Looking at the upstream source code and the tightvnc-java changelog
vnc-java [1] is a predecessor of tightvnc-java [2]. The only major
difference seems to be that vnc-java is the companion package of
another server package, vncserver, instead of tighvncserver. vncserver
in turn disappeared from Debian during 2010, if my findings are
correct.

The functionalities of vnc-java and tightvnc-java are the same, only
the calls differ:

/usr/bin/jvncviewer				versus	/usr/bin/jtightvncviewer
/usr/share/java/vncviewer.jar			versus  /usr/share/java/tightvncviewer.jar
/usr/share/vnc-java/vncviewer.jar		versus	/usr/share/tightvnc-java/VncViewer.jar
CODE=vncviewer.class ARCHIVE=vncviewer.jar	versus	CODE=tightvncviewer.VncViewer ARCHIVE=VncViewer.jar

Would it make sense to convert vnc-java into a transitional package, to
bring the still existing users (see popcon [3]) over to tightvnc-java?

Or, as upstream is not available any more, ignore the upstream code and
make it using tightvnc-java as its backend to do the real job?

Or even make it a native Debian package using tightvnc-java as its
backend to do the real job?

Or, ...

Let me know what your opinions are. I would start the work needed on
the package then.

Sven

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/vnc-java
[2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tightvnc-java