Re: planning to upload binutils 2.35.2

Hi Matthias,

On 27-01-2021 22:42, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I have been following the way the linux source package was uploaded.  Apparently
> the package entered unstable with just an announcement like this.  And more than
> one time.

For linux there was alignment, but see below.

>> So, can you please clarify why you think these changes are needed? What
>> are the risks of including or not including these changes? How are the
>> risks mitigated?
>
> staging in experimental is not possible, unless you remove 2.36, or override it
> bumping the epoch.

(or a +really version number).

>  - PR27218 is an obvious bug fix, avoiding a segfault.
>  - DWARF5 is not enabled by default, the DWARF5 fixes are
>    required for GCC 11 defaulting to use DWARF5. And no,
>    I'm not planning to upload gcc-11 to unstable.
>
> I'm very unhappy about the private decision making for some uploads, while
> showing a pedantic attitude towards others.

I must confess that indeed the alignment with the Release Team on linux
uploads happened in private. It shouldn't have, or at least the outcome
should have been public.

>  - PR27218 is an obvious bug fix, avoiding a segfault.

Sound OK to have.

>  - DWARF5 is not enabled by default, the DWARF5 fixes are
>    required for GCC 11 defaulting to use DWARF5.

https://release.debian.org/britney/pseudo-excuses-experimental.html#binutils
(for 2.36-1) shows a regression for glibc. Hence we're not totally
confident. If it's not the default, why do we want this feature now?

We would be happy with either of the following:
1) upload to unstable with PR27218 only
2) upload to experimental first (with a 2.36+really2.35.2 version) to
check all is fine.

> Not so kind regards, Matthias

It saddens me to read this.

Still with kind regards,