Re: libgpod update

Hi Frank,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 04:07:56AM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:

> I would like to update libgpod in unstable. This would include both
> a soname change and a -dev package name change.

Why is this change important to include in the etch release?

Why does the -dev package name need to change?  E.g., scope of API changes,
number of reverse-deps broken by these changes ( --> amount of work required
to get these packages releasable again)?

> Luckily the list of packages affected is pretty small (but the packages
> on it are somewhat big ;)

> amarok
> rhythmbox
> gtkpod
> listen (?) -- honestly don't know wether this needs updating since
>               it uses the library through the python bindings

> gtkpod is from the same upstream and a version that works with the new
> library is ready. For the other packages I will need to research that.
> All other packages can easily be build without libgpod, though. As upstream
> declares the API still "unstable" this might not be the worst possible
> solution...

If the API is so unstable that all the reverse-deps will need source changes
for the update, you may be right; OTOH, it's my impression that this library
provides functionality that's rather significant to a number of users, so it
would be a shame to see support for it dropped from the music players.

> But before I start to look deeper into these issues I wanted to request
> an opinion from the release team whether this transition is generally
> possible and if it depends on any other current issues.

Please try to reach a consensus with the maintainers of the reverse-deps (as
you say, the list is short :) on how this should be handled for etch, prior
to uploading to unstable.

Thanks,