Re: Some RC bug work

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:26:03PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> #261319  dhcp-client
> >>     Behavior with regards to /etc/resolv.conf is documented (although
> >>     not in the most obvious location), and the package provides an
> >>     (undocumented) way of working around it.  The documentation could
> >>     be improved, but replacing /etc/resolv.conf is a common problem
> >>     with DHCP clients and doesn't warrant removing the package.

> > I agree that this is not RC.  Whether it's serious is perhaps debatable;
> > but given that this is a general, pre-existing problem, if you feel that
> > downgrading it is not appropriate, feel free to tag it sarge-ignore.

> Personally, I would turn it into a documentation bug and downgrade it to
> important, but it feels to me like the sort of call that the maintainer
> should make.  I'm not very sure yet how many changes I should be making to
> other people's bugs; so far, I've not done anything other than add patch
> tags.

Generally, you'll find that maintainers don't object to having their
bugs touched as long as a) you're right, and b) you let them know what's
going on.

It's particularly rare to have a maintainer get upset about someone
downgrading a bug for them. ;)  (Even if they might disagree and upgrade
it again.)

> >> #239326  freewrl
> >>     There is a packaging problem here, in that what is installed as the
> >>     freewrl binary isn't the actual binary.  However, there are deeper
> >>     problems than that, as the binary segfaults immediately if built out
> >>     of the source tree and then run.  gdb wasn't helpful (to me at least).

> > Does this bug affect the version of the package in sarge?  (The bug is
> > tagged "sid", and the version of the package in sid isn't progressing to
> > sarge any time soon.)

> Yup, unfortunately:

> windlord:~> dpkg -l freewrl
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  freewrl        0.29-1.1       vrml browser and netscape plugin
> windlord:~> freewrl
> Segmentation fault

> It dies in a different place, so it may or may not be exactly the same
> bug, but it looks like it dies deep inside dynamically loaded Perl modules
> with a corrupted stack.

Ok, between that at the age of the RC bugs that *are* open, I think
that's sufficient grounds for removal.  Hinted.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer