Re: py7zr-related python packages was updated

Hi Yokota,

yokota, on 2024-04-28:
> Hello Debian Python Team,
>
> > My py7zr-related Python packages are updated to fix some issues.
[…]
> > * https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-inflate64

Thanks for your work on the py7zr stack, I reviewed through
python-inflate64 and noticed the following documented changes
were already part of the package in version 1.0.0+ds-1, so they
should not appear in the changelog of version 1.0.0+ds-2:

  * Standards-Version: 4.7.0 (routine-update)
  * Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-python (routine-update)

If you want to upload the package as-is without further changes
for it to migrate to testing, the only entry would be:

  * Source-only upload.

I would proceed to a source-only upload if you like, but I
though it would be a good time for two recommendations with
relation to the test suite (plus one recommendation relative to
Python packaging).

 1. Upstream source code embeds a pytest test suite below the
    tests/ directory.  I think it would be well worth running
    them at build time through pybuild infrastructure.  In the
    present case, this can be done easily by appending the build
    dependency python3-pytest <!nocheck> to the package (the
    nocheck marker is to indicate the build dependency is only
    needed for running the test suite).

 2. Once the test suite is up and running through pybuild, you
    may have noticed that routine-update added a Testsuite field
    to your debian/control.  This enables somewhat automated
    autopkgtest to your package with little to no effort.  The
    Testsuite automatically appended by routine-update is
    autopkgtest-pkg-python, but it is a bit limited as it only
    runs superficial checks: loading the Python module and check
    whether its version can be fetched.  If you replace the
    Testsuite by autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild, the superficial test
    will be replaced by the test caught by pybuild, which in
    turn will have much more coverage.  Standard migration time
    from unstable to testing is five days, but with non-
    superficial autopkgtest, this can be reduced as low as
    two days.

 3. I would also suggest moving from dh-python to
    dh-sequence-python3, this will allow you to remove the
    --with=python3 argumen from your debian/rules file.

Let me know when you have pushed commits for a source-only
upload, or integrated the test suite to the packaging, and I
will proceed to another review and hopefully upload.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  pgp: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da

PS: I'm under the impression these changes didn't make it to the
VCS initially, hence the confusion with changelog entries, but I
may guess wrong; the debian/1.0.0+ds-1 tag is missing though.
Andreas, do you per chance still have the tag on your hard
drive?