Re: pybuild now supports meson

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 at 17:44:24 +0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> The latest upload of dh-python to unstable (6.20230802) includes a
> meson plugin, so pybuild can easily build a package multiple times for
> all supported Python modules.

I don't think this is necessarily appropriate for a lot of the packages
in the dd-list: many of them don't install any public Python modules,
only private Python modules for internal use (often only for their
tests). It seems better for those to keep using Meson directly, to match
upstream expectations and give their maintainers full control over their
build options.

One that I was surprised not to see on the list is dbus-python, which
currently uses Meson directly. I'd vaguely planned to try building it
using pybuild and meson-python, but pybuild invoking Meson directly
might be better.

(meson-python itself is a false positive: it's already using pybuild.)

    smcv