bumping python3-multiplex to v0.6 assistance

Hi deb-py,
to simultanously write images of our debian-based live distro https://github.com/fsfw-dresden/usb-live-linux to USB pen drives, I've managed to create a tool using the multiplex python library requiring version 0.6 which is not yet updated in debian. I tried applying the upstream v0.6 commit onto the repo from salsa but trying to build it, I get an error:

dpkg-source: error: can't build with source format '3.0 (quilt)': no upstream tarball found at ../multiplex_0.6.0.orig.tar.{bz2,gz,lzma,xz}

Also, is it enough to just replace the existing debian/setup.py with following line:

import setuptools; setuptools.setup()

If anyone could help move this forward, we'd appreciate and there shall be bounty.

Best Regards
Marcel