Re: How do you create entry-points for Python applications?

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 07:18:44PM +0000, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> Hello,
> a python application isn't a binary but a script. So to invoke such an
> application there need to be a shell script somewhere in PATH that invoke
> that script via python3 interpreter. Imagine an application with a GUI (qt,
> tikinter, gtk, ...).
>
> On the upstream site modern python projects using pyproject.toml (only),
> some use setup.cfg.
> There you can define "entry points" and the "pip" installer does generate a
> shell script based on that information and place it in PATH.
> That is a nice mechanism when installing via pip.
>
> On your site as distro maintainers. How do you take care of then when
> creating deb files?
I feel like this question is not really specific to pyproject.toml etc.:
entry points are an old concept and we have a lot of packages shipping
setuptools entry points (grep your /usr/bin for "load_entry_point").
For these packages the executable is indeed created automatically by the
packaging tools, and I would expect the same to happen for any other
supported setuptools replacement.

--
WBR, wRAR