Re: [MBF] pybuild: Stop calling setup.py test?

On 11/12/2022 11:50, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
On 2022-12-10 17 h 09, Colin Watson wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 06:27:22PM +0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
Calling "setup.py test" has been deprecated since setuptools 28.5.
That's 6 years ago.

This is the list we used during the sprint to coordinate:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/FixSetupTest-keep

It's probably outdated though and I feel a real MBF would be helpful to keep track at this point...

Yep, let's get an MBF in place for this. The BTS with usertags (or the BTS view through UDD with usertags) is a much better way of tracking a todo list at this stage.

I'm not sure if there is a published deprecation timeline for "setup.py test", but given the number of nasty surprises we've had from setuptools over the last year with their current break-it-and-see-who-complains development paradigm, let's assume the worst.

Given it's not currently broken, I guess it would start with severity:important and become severity:serious once setuptools stops supporting this?

Assuming that we're not going to suddenly get a breaking setuptools before bookworm, the MBF text should have a note that this will not become serious before the release of bookworm. (Do we know if that is true?)

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott   http://www.nanonanonano.net/ stuart@nanonanonano.net