Re: pygame: FTBFS: dh_auto_test: error: pybuild --test -i python{version} -p "3.10 3.9" --system=custom --test-args "/usr/bin/xvfb-run {interpreter} -m pygame.tests.__main__ --exclude opengl" returned exit code 13

Hi Marcin,

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 20:47, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> Dnia Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 08:57:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille napisał(a):
> > I had a look into this issue since a Debian Med package received a
> > testing removal warning.  I can confirm the build fails with
> >
> >    Segmentation fault
> >
> > in the build time test suite.
>
> Just out of curiosity I ran the tests during build under GDB (simply
> inserting "gdb --args" right before the "{interpreter}" in the
> overrite_dh_auto_test rule in debian/rules).
>
> It seems like the segfault is in the freetype library, when loading a font,
> rather than in pygame (though I guess the root cause could be pygame passing
> garbage to freetype? - I have zero knowledge about the API).
>
> Cc-ing Hugh in case he can provide some hints about what might be going on here.
>
> This does not change the fact that it would be great to move to pygame2 :-)

This test failure occurs in the ftfont test, which is an alternative
for the older SDL font API.

The cause does seem to be a change in FreeType 2.11.1, as the tests
pass with FreeType 2.11.0. Unfortunately, I can't see any relevant
changes easily. I suspect pygame might be dereferencing a NULL pointer
somewhere.

I did some testing and found that pygame 2.1.0 is the first recent
version not affected by the FreeType test issue.

I'll keep digging, but I'd strongly suggest migrating to the most
recent upstream version as soon as possible, as I had no problems
building it.

Hugh