Re: Should we allow Janitor to commit directly to all DPT packages?

On 2/18/22 2:23 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
I admit I'm hesitating a bit for different reasons.  While I agree that
direct commits are better than MRs I found several DPT packages with
very sensible changes in Git but no uploads following these.  For
instance fixing VCS fields and Maintainer name should be followed by an
according upload to make those changes visible to users and developers
of the *packages* in Debian.

In the Debian Med team for instance we do those automatic changes before
uploading a package - say when upgrading to new upstream versions or
fixing some bugs.  Than we run the Janitor scripts and other automatic
changes which is all done in routine-update.  I personally find this
workflow more convenient.  That way Debian Med team (as well as pkg-r
team) are blacklisted for Janitor to not have competing changes inside
the package.

thanks for bringing the perspective of how things are done in the Med
team, but it feels none of the points you mentioned nor the specific
Med team workflow apply here,

I suppose the highlight was the usage of routine-update[1] package before upload
and we could use it with DPT too.
This does similar(same?) changes as in janitor.

But that said, I agree with what you wrote:

or are relevant to just let Janitor
commit directly to our packages.

I vote a in for/OK for janitor to commit directly as well.

[1]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/routine-update

Regards,
Nilesh