Wanting to repackage virtualenvwrapper

Dear mailing list,

I was looking to make some changes to the packaging of the virtualenvwrapper package, in order to fix bug #760080 (no Python 3 support). I have done most of the work on repackaging, but now realise that the package is not listed as being maintained by the DPMT, but rather by a single developer.
I was wondering if someone can advise me what is the process here - can we (the DPMT, that is) take on an existing individually-maintained package, or is that frowned upon? Bearing in mind the last published update was in 2014 and the last git commit was in 2016.

--
  Joel Cross
  joel@kazbak.co.uk