Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

On May 29, 2014, at 08:30 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Does anything other than tox depend on virtualenv? Unless something python
>2.x depends on virtualenv the only real benefit to having virtualenv
>installed in both 2.x and 3.x is what the default interpreter is whenever you
>create a virtual environment. IOW virtualenv is perfectly capable of creating
>virtual environments in interpreters other than the one it's installed in.

Yep, which is why I want to change the shebang to /usr/bin/python3.

reverse-depends python-virtualenv
Reverse-Depends
===============
* dh-virtualenv
* pbundler
* python-tox
* virtualenvwrapper

(that's on Ubuntu, but it should be close if not identical)

I don't know yet whether any of those packages actually try to import
virtualenv or whether they just use the command line.  I guess if nothing else
does import it, then we don't need the Python 2 version of the library and we
can just switch the python-virtualenv package to install only the Python 3
bits.

-Barry