Re: RFS: python-twython - Pure Python wrapper for the Twitter API

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 11:43:23PM -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Josue Ortega <josueortega@debian.org.gt> wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package and maitain it with the DPMT.
> > The package is python-twython Pure Python wrapper for the Twitter API.
> > This closes #739010 which is an ITP.
> > Here is some useful information about the package:
> >  Version         : 3.1.2-1
> >  Upstream Author : Ryan McGrath <ryan@venodesigns.net>
> >  URL             : https://github.com/ryanmcgrath/twython/tree/master
> >  License         : MIT
> >

> > It builds those binary packages:
> >     python-twython - Pure Python wrapper for the Twitter API
> >     python3-twython - Pure Python3 wrapper for the Twitter API
> >
> > If you are interested you can get it on mentors[0] or in the SVN DPMT[1].
>
> Just curious, how does this differ from python-twitter, which is
> already in the archive? Do we need two different sets of python
> wrappers around Twitter's API?
>
> Regards,
> Vincent
>

> --

Well, the things that differ from python twitter is that this package
already provides support for Python 3 and is under active development.
Another features are:
- Query data for:
    - User information
    - Twitter lists
    - Timelines
    - Direct Messages
    - and anything found in `the docs <https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1>`_
- Image Uploading:
    - Update user status with an image
    - Change user avatar
    - Change user background image
    - Change user banner image

> Do we need two different sets of python
> wrappers around Twitter's API?

Yeah I wondered the same thing.  The fact that upstream is very active and
the python3 support conviced me to package it.

---
Josue Ortega
«Happy Hacking»
http://josueortega.org