Re: XS-Python-Version vs pyversions

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 03:53:31PM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Twas brillig at 20:21:31 07.09.2009 UTC-07 when vorlon@debian.org did gyre and gimble:

>  >>  SL> They were part of the design that came out of the python
>  >>  SL> packaging BoF in DebConf 6 that you then proceeded to ignore
>  >>  SL> entirely.

>  >> Is this design and rationale written down somewhere? It's hard to
>  >> follow policy which contains completely opaque requirements.

>  SL> No, it's pretty much bitrotted away by now

> Thanks to those who did not communicate ideas outside of the DC
> attendants.

Bullshit.  Spare me your ignorant preaching and go read the mailing list
archives.

>  SL> thanks to people deciding to discard all the efforts of the session
>  SL> in question

> Which were not documented.

They were documented.  The documentation has bitrotted because consensus was
abandoned.

It once lived at <http://people.debian.org/~piman/python-policy/> - before
the python policy process degenerated into such an absurd mess that the
maintainer left Debian entirely.

>  SL> and unilaterally implement helpers that don't do what was asked
>  SL> for.

> You're not a dictator who has the rights to command what helpers to
> exist, especially if your favorite one is not backed by any written
> rationale.

No, I'm not a dictator; I'm just a member of the Debian Release Team who has
watched in frustration as the python political nonsense has failed for three
years to deliver anything that actually facilitates python version
transitions - which was the main reason for drafting a new python policy in
the first place.

Thanks for pissing on the release team.

> Single "why?" document would help to resolve situation much better than
> endless whining about "bad python-support developers". Just accept the
> facts that you've failed to communicate ideas behind policy,

Bullshit.  The python-support maintainer knows the reasons already.  This
was not a failure of communication, only a failure of collaboration.

> reevaluate situation and propose something that is constructive, this will
> be beneficial for all of us.

And why would that work any better now than it did three years ago?  If
anything, the responses in this thread show that the list is far more beset
with python-support apologists now, who are even less willing to approach
the problem from a policy perspective and are only interested in defending
their favorite tool.