is psycopg2 broken in etch?

[if this is better suited for another list please let me know]

Hi list!

I have (very simple) python program that makes use of psycopg2
to access a postgresql database (still very simple).

Pretty much by a "lucky accident" I realized that something is
seriously broken -- running the same program with the same data
does NOT produce the same data in the database.  Given the
overall simplicity -- one process/thread, one connection to DB
with commit() after each insert, I don't think anything in the
program can explain the behavior.

Googling on the subject I found this comment in Ubuntus bugs
system:

  James Henstridge wrote on 2007-09-05:  (permalink)
 Note that the 2.0.5 release of psycopg2 has other serious
 problems, such as not reporting errors from commit().
   So if an update is going to be made available for previous
 versions of Ubuntu, it would be better to backport the latest
 version rather than trying to backport just the 64-bit fix.

Since I'm on Debian/Etch amd64, I wonder if the "natural" version
of psycopg2 (2.0.5.1-6) have had any fixes backported from never
versions?

On a side note I tried to bring back the version from Sid (using
apt-get source ...) but there were too many dependencys for me to
feel comfort about.  Is there some easy way to "strip it" from
stuff I know I wont be using (e.i. debug and zope packages)?

Sincerely yours,
       Emil