Re: Packaging question on private extension modules

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

The package is pdb2pqr, you can find it here:
svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/pdb2pqr/trunk/

Without having a look into this ...

The current version puts everything to /usr/lib/pdb2pqr as that seems to
please lintian. I tried to split the package into two and also tried to put
the arch-indep modules into /usr/share/pdb2pqr and the arch-dep modules
(propka and pdb2pka) into /usr/lib/pdb2pqr in the same package. Both
approaches did not work, pdb2pqr.py was not able to load the propka modules
anymore.

Did you tried symlinks to join all files needed in one directory?  You could
point symlinks from /usr/lib/pdb2pqr to /usr/share/pdb2pqr and make the
Arch: any package

    Depends: <arch-all_package>

to make sure these symlinks are properly resolved.

I thought this was due to the fact that they are private modules and
pdb2pqr.py is started from /usr/share/pdb2pqr, so it's not able to load the
parts that reside in /usr/lib/pdb2pqr. I guess this is were I do not
understand things completely.

Or if /usr/share/pdb2pqr is the directory to start from just do the symlinking
and dependency the other way around.  I'm not enough of a python expert to
give some hints how private modules could be found otherwise - but let the
application think they are right in place seems to be a working circumvention of
the problem.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--