Re: Lack of replies

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 05:10:43PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have
> to do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.  Ultimately, I think
> we (for some value of we that doesn't include me doing the work) will
> need to have the BTS send all emails from bugs.debian.org role
> addresses and not use the sender's email in From anymore.

Yeah, this is what we ended up doing in Launchpad for similar reasons in
2020: mail from bug #NNNNNNN resulting from an action by a user whose
display name is "Some User" is sent with "From: Some User
<NNNNNNN@bugs.launchpad.net>".  The switch was a bit nerve-wracking, but
it largely seems to be working OK there and I think is basically the
only way to make things work reliably in the modern email environment.

That said, debbugs has much higher expectations of everything being done
through email than Launchpad does, so it'd need some care to make sure
that e.g. From/Reply-To are exactly right in all cases, and it's quite
likely that people would be somewhat discombobulated by the change.  It
would make it harder to take a BTS conversation to private email, for
instance (but perhaps that's a good thing since new users often end up
doing this by accident?), and we'd have to think about how it interacted
with things like X-Debbugs-Cc to mailing lists.

[Disclaimer: I no longer work on Launchpad, and although I should still
have permissions to work on debbugs it's been a long time since I
actually did so.  Maybe later this year ...]

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]