Debian 11 does not boot to Xen - thank you for your support

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

On 9/16/22 1:53 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
"Chuck" == Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> writes:

    Chuck> Debian processes: AFAIK there is no process for a user to
    Chuck> resort to when an important bug has been ignored for over a
    Chuck> year except to make some noise on mailing lists like
    Chuck> debian-user and debian-project. What would you suggest as a
    Chuck> better process to handle cases like #983357?

TL;DR: Maintainers do not have to work on any particular problem, but
 they do not get to block others' work.  First step is to figure out the
 fix for a problem, propose the fix, and eventually get to an NMU
 proposal.

Hi.
I agree with Branden that engaging with Chuck may not be the most
productive use of my time.
However, I think the above question is a great one, and regardless of
whether my answer is useful to Chuck, I think  it might be generally
useful.

Fast forward to April 2023:

I am a casual user (helping someone to resolve some unrelated issue with their Debian 11 installation)
and I can't use the default debian-11.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso installer
(sha256sum e482910626b30f9a7de9b0cc142c3d4a079fbfa96110083be1d0b473671ce08d) on Xen.

I just wanted to say big thanks to Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> for documenting this on a Xen wiki[1] - I could quickly
find this info using a search engine buy asking for "debian 11 install crash xen"
and it saved me hours of heads scratching and troubleshooting.

Also big thanks to Phillip Susi <phill@thesusis.net> for digging deep
enough to find a root cause of this problem.

I can see that using Debian cloud installer allows me to get past this particular
problem, but I get dropped to the initramfs prompt due to rootfs missing (Hope to figure
this out).

One small note, my naïve attempt to say "install nousb" as a response
to the "boot: " prompt as advised by the installer Help page <F6> did not change anything.

This is just a thank-you note, feel free to respond off-list if needed.

Marcin Cieślak

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/index.php?title=Debian_Guest_Installation_Using_Debian_Installer&type=revision&diff=19945&oldid=5280