Re: Consultation on license documents

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 09:05:21PM +0800, 刘涛 wrote:
> 1. Must various software packages in the Debian community contain a license file "license.txt"? Without this file, how does the users know about the license usage of the package?

Each package must contain a file named "copyright" which contains the
license(s) which apply to that package.

On an installed system, these are in the /usr/share/doc/PKGNAME/
directories:

unicorn:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/libc6
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright       NEWS.gz           README.hesiod.gz
changelog.gz         NEWS.Debian.gz  README.Debian.gz

> 2. I found that each software package has a "Copyleft" document, and a lot of license information is also listed in this document. Therefore, I would like to ask, when the two documents "license.txt" and "Copyleft" exist in the software package at the same time, which one should the user take as the basis, and how to deal with the situation where the declared license information of the two documents is inconsistent, Which shall prevail?

The term "copyleft" is used by GNU (specifically Richard Stallman, I
believe) to describe the GNU General Public License (GPL).  I've never
seen that term used in any other context.  It's certainly not the name
of any file present in Debian packages at large.

> 3. If the software package only contains "Copyleft" documents, can users refer to the license information declared in this document?

Again, the license(s) are in the "copyright" files, one per package.