Re: How do you manage debian mails on your mailbox?

For me, it's kind of a mess.

I have been using notmuch-emacs for years now, but I still don't have a
good way of filtering incoming mail based on "profiles".

I do use tags for work, and flip between work and non-work profiles with
some elisp functions:

https://gitlab.com/anarcat/emacs-d/-/blob/main/notmuch-config.el#L190

... and assign defaults based on which workstation I'm on (home is
non-work, for example).

This doesn't isolate Debian stuff from work, or from home, which does
mean I have difficulty keeping a "personal only" email profile.

I also do not directly subscribe to Debian mailing list, partly because
of that problem. I tend to obsessively deal with all incoming email,
marking it all as read is considered a mandatory task for any given time
on the computer (which is why the separation is so important). That
means delegating things to an external todo list, or a "read it later"
app (wallabag) as well.

To catchup on mailing lists, I use Emacs' GNUS and GMANE (which is,
oddly, kind of still alive if you squint sideways). Reading what others
(sean and russ?) have been doing with GNUS, it looks like I should be
reconsidering using it as my primary email client. But I've done that in
a previous millenia and it was *hard*: GNUS is really built for
newsgroups originally, and it shows. If you're not really hardwired for
newsgroup (and I guess I lost that habit a long time ago), it feels
backwards in a lot of ways.

For example, to reply to your email, I didn't use GNUS, because then
outgoing mail doesn't properly gets filed (haven't figured out *that*
part just yet in GNUS I guess): instead it goes into a
`nnfolder+archive:sent.2021-03` ... thing (group? folder?). Heck, I
don't even know where that is actually stored. ;)

Instead, I actually navigate to the mailing list web page, find the
relevant email, then hit the "reply" button there which fires up my
usual notmuch-emacs-mua email client. Not great.

Anyways, that's what I got. I also fetch my mail over SSH, filter with
Dovecot sieve, and all sorts of bizarre stuff you accumulate when you
have been running your own mail servers for time that now counts in
decades. Some of that stuff is even documented on my website:

https://anarc.at/services/mail/

HTH,

A.
--
All governments are run by liars and nothing they say should be
believed.