Re: alioth-lists and mailman3 (was Re: Discourse usability)

Le mardi 21 avril 2020 à 17:14:43+0200, Alex Muntada a écrit :
> Hi Sean,
>
> > > FWIW, I think if would be great to have a comparison between
> > > Discourse and Mailman3 for Debian. If anybody with strong
> > > Mailman3 experience would like to share some insights, it
> > > would be really appreciated.
> >
> > I mean, one is a mailing list service and one is not, so I
> > assume what you mean here is Hyperkitty vs. Discourse?
>
> Actually both: Hyperkitty has some forum features (voting,
> viewing, replying, etc.) but Mailman has other forum features
> (moderation, filtering, subscription, list settings, etc.).
>
> I'm using Mailman as a list manager concept since I only have
> experience with Mailman2 and I can't tell whether Mailman3
> has the same features.
>
> Thanks for asking. I hope it makes more sense now.

Mailman3 is great on many things, but it still has some rough edges.
Using Mailman3 on Debian Stable is possible, but it could come as being
more frustrating than a Discourse or other instance would, because it
does pretty good the mail part, but the interface and the API still need
some love.

I hope MM3 in Bullseye will be more rock solid.

Cheers,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
Mailman3 maintainer in Debian, who would love to have more users. :D