Re: Help bringing bugs.debian.org / debbugs back on track (Re: bits from the DPL -- September 2013)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

> However, I am not convinced that development of bugs.debian.org should go
> through Debbugs development. Unfortunately, I am not an ITS-s expert, and I
> can't recommend a particular engine. There are many free ITS engines, some
> of which are worst, but in general, as an engine user, I do not like Debbugs
> compared to most other engines. Debbugs's technology doesn't look great, but
> I'm entirely unaware of the internals. My skepticism on its future really
> comes from the current number of users and developers, and most importantly
> its advancement compared to alternatives. I can only agree that the ITS
> needs help and that Debbugs can use development, but I'm not convinced
> that's an optimal use of our currently nearly inexistent ITS manpower (see
> https://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-debbugs.png ).

Please don't switch bugs.debian.org away from debbugs. I don't want to
have to leave the Debian project but some misguided folks doing that
would be one of the triggers for that. None of the other bug tracking
systems have anywhere near the amount of features or usability that
debbugs has. While debbugs could definitely use more work on it, the
current state is acceptable and definitely not a problem for Debian. I
only wish more upstream projects and hosting sites used debbugs, then
I might actually enjoy filing bugs upstream.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise