Re: trademark policy draft

* Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> [2012-07-31 18:07]:
> \subsection{When to Use the DEBIAN Trademarks}

I'd change this to "When You Can Use the DEBIAN Trademarks" or "When
You Can Use the DEBIAN Trademarks Without Permission".

> \item You can make t-shirts, desktop wallpapers, caps, or other merchandise
>  with DEBIAN trademarks for \emph{non-commercial usage}. You can also make
>  merchandise with DEBIAN trademarks for \emph{commercial usage} provided that,

This of course opens the usual can of worms as to what "commercial"
actually means.  Maybe it could be "if you're planning to sell
t-shirts for a profit" instead; but maybe it doesn't matter.

>  in addition to following the guidelines listed below, you truthfully
>  advertise to customers which part of the selling price will be donated to the

How about adding "(if any)" after "selling price" to make it clear
that a donation is optional?

> \item Acknowledge of SPI's ownership of the DEBIAN trademark prominently.
                       ^^^^^
> \item Include a disclaimer of sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by
>   DEBIAN on your website and on all related printed materials.
>
>   EXAMPLES:
>
>   X PROJECT is not affiliated with DEBIAN. DEBIAN is a registered trademark
>   owned by SPI, INC.
             ^^^^^^^^
Shouldn't this be "Software in the Public Interest, Inc." rather than
"SPI, Inc".  Afaik the former is the official name of the
organization.

> \subsection{Permission To Use}
>
> To obtain permission to use the DEBIAN trademarks send an email to
> \texttt{trademark@debian.org}

Given your earlier comments that people ask for permission even when
they don't have to, I think this section should state more clearly
when people have to email trademark@debian.org to obtain permission.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/