Re: OSI affiliation

Le lundi 13 février 2012 à 18:40 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> Dear project members,
>   as you might have heard post-FOSDEM, the Open Source Initiative (OSI)
> is opening up to an affiliate membership structure [1,2].  As I've
> already mentioned in [3], representatives of OSI have approached me to
> know if Debian is interested into joining. I'd like to discuss with you
> such a possibility.

This looks very good on paper, but as others have mentioned, the OSI has
taken various decisions that were in complete contradiction with the
Debian project, especially on accepting non-free licenses as “open
source”. While it would be nice to see their decision process evolve to
become saner on this matter, I’m very worried to see Debian’s name used
to condone licenses we would not accept.

Therefore, having an advisor from the Project at OSI would be nice, but
in no situation should Debian’s name be affiliated with OSI until we
have seen over several years that their behavior has effectively
changed, and that “open source” certifications for non-free licenses
have been revoked.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :