Re: Skolelinux and the "Debian Labs" idea

> By contrast, I wouldn't have a problem in principle
> with, eg, "HP Debian Labs".

 Hello, everyone,

 I would like to suggest that names tell what the thing they are naming is.
 If something is Debian, then it is OK to call it 'Debian'
 if it is not, then it is not.

 This would have advantage that
   from a thing's name one could infer what that thing is.

 So if i'lld see 'HP Debian Labs',
  i would immediately know that this was
  - part of Debian community, and contributing to Debian's goals
  - officially intended by HP's central management to be
      the only Debian Labs in all of HP,
      at least for duration of period for which Debian granted use of
        its name to these Labs.
  - not spending a major part of their efforts on
       anything else than advancement of Debian
       (motivated by that being beneficial to HP ofcourse).

 Frankly, something like
  'HP Springfield Debian-compatibility Labs'
  or
  'University of Oklahoma department of Debianology'
  seems more likely to me.

 I came to this thought by noticing that
   many softwares have too grandiose names,
   because they form such a large part of their developers's lives
   that they are named by a big name by them.
   (i think 'info' is an example of this)

 I hope this thought may be fruitfull for the Debian trademark discussion.

 have a nice day,

 Siward