Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> MJ Ray:
>> Bruce Perens clarified that the DFSG were written to apply to
>> everything in debian
>
> This means that we cannot include stuff like software licenses in
> Debian, which in turn means that we cannot really distributed Debian
> itself.

Copyright clauses, and by extension the licenses which they include by
reference[1], are currently the only things that are widely considered to
be exempt from the DFSG. [There's also some debate about whether
licenses can even be copyrightable... I'm of two minds on the issue,
and it definetly is jurisdicition dependent.]

If we want to exclude more things from the DFSG, we need to write up a
proposal to modify the social contract appropriately and extend
another set of guidelines to apply to it. To this point, no one has
taken up the gauntlet and done it (or even started to my knowledge.)

> That claim is about as absurd as claiming a logotype a piece of
> software...

I could rather trivially make that claim... but then I'm well known
for considering almost everything to be software. [It's one of the
problems of being a molecular biologist with a background in
computing... everything begins to behave like walking bits of
software.]

Don Armstrong
1: This only includes licenses that are required by a copyright
statement... random licenses included in packages don't qualify.
--
"People selling drug paraphernalia ... are as much a part of drug
trafficking as silencers are a part of criminal homicide."

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu