How can I contribute to the project and learn more about the OS and the kernel ?

Hi!!
     I recently visited your website and was amazed by
the mindset and vision that your organization has.
Though there are many flavours of Linux available, I
have heard that the Debian GNU/Linux is supposed to be
the more stable, better-maintained version of them
all. I got a Debian OS (Linux) CD along with Developer
IQ. I would like to know as to how could I contribute
to the Debian development project. Though I do not
hail from a computer science background, I am a B.Sc.
(Chem, Botany, and Zoology) graduate. I have also done
a course in Linux (Basics), C, and C++. I would really
love to contribute to the Debian project. Since I
intend to make a career in computers, (I am planning
to join MCA) I would be grateful to get an opportunity
to contribute in whichever way I can to the Debian
Project. I am also interested in learning kernel
programming, socket programming and device driver
programming. Though I do not possess the required
programming skills of a developer (which I aim to be
one day), I would be thankful if you could inform me
as to how to contribute to the Debian Project.

Yours Sincerely

Pritesh M Ugrankar

Bangalore, India.