Re: More information

Em Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:08:31 -0400 (EDT)
Jon Eisenstein <jeisen@mindspring.com> escreveu:

> Linux is actually a completely different operating system than
> Windows. Programs written for Windows cannot be used with Linux, unless
> you use a Windows emulator such as VMWare. However, most if not all of
> what can be done with Windows can be done for free on Linux, with the
> exception of games. There are program replacements for everything, such
> as:
hmmm I've had success running microsoft word once....

> Windows			Linux
> -------			-----
> Office			StarOffice / KOffice
> Internet Explorer	Netscape / Mozilla
> Outlook			KMail / Bonobo / Sylpheed =)
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ =)

> I hope this helps! Linux may not be what you had in mind, but if you're
> willing to try it, you may just like it.
yeah, a good thing to do would be to install Debian as a second operating
system partitioning the disk to hold both windows and Debian so that
you get used to the new environment... My girlfriend uses Debian at her
home for reading/sending mail, internet and office works but I installed
it for her, it is not trivial to install Debian and it won't be for some
time... but if you get it installed and running you won't want to go back
to windows (my girlfriend keeps telling me so =))

[]s!

--
       Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |  (___)  |