Re: Request for Removal: Unmaintained libppd in Debian

On 16.09.23 14:29, Christoph Biedl wrote:
One of the questions that I couldn't ask since we were already behind
schedule: Assuming the next Debian release (~2025) will no longer ship
cups2 at all, how does does affect the existing ecosystem around PPD? I
might be wrong but I got the impression serveral packages will just drop
out of that stable release simply because they won't be longer
installable as they rely on cups2 packages.

As this is a bit Debian-specific, perhaps somebody else can clarify?
Also it's not important for me, I'm just a little courious :)

I am not as optimistic as Till is. A Debian release in 2025 means a freeze starting end of 2024. So  the release of cups3 overlaps the freeze for Trixie and I don't think it is a good idea to make such a big change during a freeze. I guess Trixie will still have cups2 as the default and as much as possible of cups3 to let the user get used to the new thing.
I hope until Forky every print dialog can handle cups3 then ...

Droping lpr-based printing entirely is something I wouldn't object, but
I lack the courage to trigger the process.

I asked on debian-devel, maybe there are some arguments for or against the old stuff.

  Thorsten