Re: compiler warnings against recent CUPS

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 5:57 PM Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you mean all these warnings about deprecated PPD-file-related functions?

Yes.

> These are harmless for now, as long as the target distro, like Bookworm
> (and also Ubuntu 23.04 and 23.10) currently, uses a CUPS 2.x version
> with libcups2.

So I figured.

> The deprecated functions get actually removed in CUPS 3.x which will get
> released near the end of this year and so will be the CUPS version used
> by Ubuntu 24.04 and of the first Debian release after Bookworm.

Noted.

> cups-pdf is currently a classic CUPS printer driver and would need to be
> turned into a Printer Application, an emulation of an IPP printer. This
> is the format of printer drivers in the world after PPDs being abolished.

Noted.

I am keeping an eye on these issues since upstream's time for software
development has been very scarce because his dayjob is involved in
COVID research. As such, while he has been keeping an eye downstream
(he subscribes to the Debian BTS for cups-pdf), he hasn't had any time
to investigate any recent issue, such as the Ghostscript upgrade. For
this one, I adopted a patch from another distro and forwarded him a
copy. Unless the pace slows down at his dayjob, I fear that he might
miss the CUPS 3.x transition too.

Martin-Éric