Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On 31/01/2020 18:03, Brian Potkin wrote:
On Fri 31 Jan 2020 at 16:36:59 +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

Le vendredi, 31 janvier 2020, 14.03:46 h CET Brian Potkin a écrit :
I would say 100% of popular network printers available for users to
purchase in at least the past five years have AirPrint. For our
purposes this is the defining aspect of driverless. A number of devices
is USB only.

Isn't ippusbxd meant to help solving this?

It is and might suit a user if the device supports IPP-over-USB. It is
doable on Debian but not straightforward to set up. Please see

and

   https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting?action=show&redirect=DriverlessPrinting#shortippusbxd
   https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting?action=show&redirect=DriverlessPrinting#ippusbxd

The ability to scan, if it exists, is also lost. I'd be inclined to
guide a user down a driver path.

We have several improvements on that front:

Most important is the new ipp-usb project:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/ipp-usb/

It replaces ippusbxd with a much better architecture concerning the IP <-> USB conversion. It also does a better job of DNS-SD advertising the device polling the device's capabilities from the device and generating the DNS-SD records from this information instead of using hard-coded DNS-SD records only advertising the printing part, what ippusbxd does.

To easily see the better architecture of ipp-usb you should try using the web admin interface of the device, usually available under http://localhost:60000/. With ippusbxd this only works with Firefox and not with Chrome, and then only barely. With ipp-usb the web interface works very well with any browser. But printing and scanning is also more reliable with ipp-usb.

ipp-usb also allows to access the USB device the classic way while not in operation via IPP-over-USB, without needing to stop the daemon. ippusbxd blocks the device completely while it is running.

The only part missing in ipp-usb is the auto-detection/auto-start facility based on UDEV and systemd, but I already asked Alexander to copy that over from ippusbxd, will probably happen in a few days.

Now scanning via IPP-over-USB (and also through the network on all devices which support AirPrint) is also driverless, as no driver, aka model-specific software or data, is needed. The SANE backend "escl" in SANE 1.0.29 or the separate "airscan" backend (https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan/) supports ALL these devices. Note that "airscan" is more feature-complete and "escl" is more lightweight (as far as I understood).

So wit all the printing stuff we have already, plus the "escl" and "airscan" SANE backends and ipp-usb all modern multi-function devices will print and scan without driver, both via network and USB.

We can ditch HPLIP for our (modern) HP devices and finally can scan on all modern multi-function devices, not only HP. One nice, easy, and straight forward solution for everyone.

So I recommend for Debian:

1. replace ippusbxd by ipp-usb (the latter should be debianized ASAP).
2. Update SANE to 1.0.19 and also add the "airscan" backend.
3. Recommend driverless printing and scanning also on multi-function
   devices, on both network and USB.

By the way, if you have a cheap multi-function device without front-panel screen but supporting Wi-Fi (and under Windows using a proprietary tool to set up Wi-Fi), you can set up such a device thanks to IPP-over-USB. Simply conect to USB, access the web admin interface to set up Wi-Fi, disconnect from USB and continue using Wi-Fi.

   Till