Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

On 05/29 2023 16:56 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
hfsutils works like mtools, it doesn't use the kernel's VFS layer. Tools like "fsck"
and "mkfs" are still on the TODO list as you can see in the TODO file [2] ...

Thanks, I missed this important detail. hformat is just a stub, it
doesn't really do anything...

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that.

Sorry, I was wrong. I missed it in the source code. Actually, the format
function hfs_format can be found in libhfs/hfs.c from the hfsutils
sources. But it looks ugly, because it includes partition management
(like selecting the number of APM partition to format on a block device).

We could make a wrapper script mkfs.hfs that utilizes hformat and
normalizes its usage though...

Linux User #330250